US-Asia Links was the former Trade Representative for the state of Maryland.
US-Asia Links received approval from Governor Martin O’Malley and Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development (DBED) to represent Maryland as a trade representative for Asia. DBED is a government agency tasked with creating new jobs and increasing business for the state of Maryland.
In the interest of creating and expanding business in Maryland, DBED sought opportunities both domestic and world wide. Following Governor O’Malley’s international growth strategy, DBED has established many trade offices overseas, including China, Taiwan, Vietnam, and Korean, many of which are funded by the state. The primary goal in opening offices in these strategic locations was to provide Maryland businesses new avenues for trade and encourage foreign direct investment in Maryland.
US-Asia Links has many connections in Asia and after discussions with the Deputy Secretary of DBED, Robert Walker, DBED authorized US-Asia Links to represent Maryland as a trade representative. As Maryland’s trade representative for Asia, US-Asia Links helps US Businesses expand to Asia and to bring investors from Asia to Maryland. US-Asia Links has provided consultancy, facilitated in US – Asia import-export business, and helped expand economic relationships between US and Asia.
US-Asia Links has helped organized the trade mission for Governor O’Malley and DBED to visit Vietnam, arranged a meeting with Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung, and successfully sign a memorandum of understanding in 2011.
Maryland’s Division of International Investment and Trade works to stimulate foreign direct investment in Maryland, offers export assistance for small and mid-sized Maryland companies and coordinates international trade and investment missions and trade show opportunities for Maryland companies.
US-Asia Links served Maryland through:
- Conducted tailored research covering issues such as: sector trends, competitors, product/service offerings, distribution channels, price points
- Provided market profiles detailing the size, trends, and product/service potential
- Supplied information on specific bids, projects, opportunities
Foreign Company Research
- Identified and qualified potential overseas representation, joint venture partners, agents and distributors for Maryland companies
- Identified contacts in government, non-corporate and the private sector
- Provided company profile – credit reports & background financials, personal credit reports on executives, or other data
- Made appointments for Maryland companies. Assisted in developing itineraries for meetings, missions, and shows
- Provided logistical support to the Governor’s Mission including arrangements for travel, security, events, meetings, hotels, flights, transportation, interpretation
- Assisted in identifying and qualifying appropriate marketing and advertising vehicles
- Provided assistance within the context of a structured program or event
- Developed international strategic plans
- Provided transactional counseling
- Provided crisis counseling